Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Beef Mushroom & Rice



I cannot think of a better name for this. It's basically a homemade Hamburger Helper, or perhaps a Rice-a-Roni. I'm not sure since I never buy boxed meals. I used to eat them when I was a kid and had a few favorites that I like to recreate as an adult. This is a very family friendly meal, I'm not sure I'd serve it for company though! Oh, and please, if anyone has a better title for this meal, let me know!

Beef, Mushrooms and Rice

1/2 lb hamburger meat
1/4 large onion
1/4 green bell pepper
10 button mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup raw brown rice (or white)
2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp cornstarch or 2 tbsp flour

Prepare rice according to directions.
Preheat a skillet to medium high heat. Dice onion and bell pepper. Spray with cooking spray and put the onion and bell pepper in the skillet. While that is starting to sautè mince garlic and quarter mushrooms. Add hamburger meat to skillet. With your spoon, break the hamburger meat up and brown it stirring it for a few minutes. Add seasonings: thyme, salt & pepper. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook for a few minutes. In a small bowl mix beef broth with your thickner (cornstarch or flour). Stir until the thickner dissolves into the broth. Add your cooked rice to the beef mixture. Pour broth over and stir. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes on low.

Weight Watchers (per serving):
4% Beef - 3pts
rice- 3pts
Broth- 1 pt
Flour- 1pt


Side dish:
Canned greenbeans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin