Monday, August 10, 2009

Coconut Shrimp Fritters


For anyone who does not like shrimp or they are trying to get their kids to eat shrimp, this is a great way to introduce the flavor, if not the texture. I wanted to make Coconut Shrimp for John and I for dinner, but in the past the only way the girls have eaten shrimp is if I mince it tiny and even then, not so much. These came out so great that I wish I had made them for John and I instead of the traditional coconut shrimp that I made for us. (My breading didn't stick. I'll have to work on it...) The only problem is that I was making these fritters up as I went along and I didn't pay attention to quantities. So I'll do my best to replicate, but please use some judgment on how much to use of any ingredient. I only made four of these for my twins (two each.)

Coconut Shrimp Fritters

6-8 small shrimp
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs + extra for rolling balls in
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes + extra for rolling balls in
dash of chili powder (I didn't use very much and it wasn't spicy)
salt & pepper
1 egg (or egg beaters)

In a small bowl beat egg. In a food processor or magic bullet process shrimp, panko crumbs, coconut crumbs, chili powder, plus egg (you may not need the whole egg.) The mixture should be gooey and sticky. You should be able to pinch off a bit. Perhaps a bit more than an inch wide. Too thick and they won't cook all the way through. In a second bowl mix some more of the bread crumbs with coconut flakes. Roll your sticky ball in the crumb & flake mixture. Place on a cookie sheet. Coat with cooking spray. Turn broiler on HI. Place cookie sheet in the middle of your oven. Cook 5 minutes one side, turn and cook an additional 5 minutes.

Homemade Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce

1 small can of pineapples with juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 small clove garlic
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger (I store it in the freezer so I can grate as I need)
3-4 drops of sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch

Place all ingredients in a food processor or magic bullet and process until smooth. Bring to a boil in a small pan. Serve as a side to Coconut Shrimp Fritters.
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin