Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pesto


I love pesto. I try and make it every summer from the basil growing in my garden. This year, I've had an abundance of basil. I even started giving some away to friends to make pestos of their own this year! I know the basic concept, I've been making it for years, but I always forget the ratios of ingredients. So I got this recipe from Simply Recipes. I made mine a bit thicker (less oil) so that way I can use it as a spread on ciabata bread or thin it out with a bit more oil and use it on pasta. I've heard putting it in ice cube trays and freezing it works great, so that's what I'm doing with my leftovers. I have plans of pesto pizza, pesto chicken, pesto pasta... I think I'll be sick of it soon!

Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Special equipment needed: A food processor

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Makes 1 cup.

Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin