Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spanish Style Chicken


Someone please help me come up with a better name for this dish! I was inspired from a Food Network show. She called her's Chicken Marengo, but when I looked up a real Chicken Marengo it is supposed to have crawfish in it. My dish doesn't have crawfish and neither did hers. Anyway, this was really tasty and my husband said the leftovers were better than the first night. I wouldn't know because he didn't share. This dish could possibly be made in a crock pot, but I'm not that great at creating crock pot dishes so, I'm not sure. I did turn the leftovers into a bit of a different dish by shredding the chicken and adding rice. Read on...
-Amanda

Spanish Style Chicken

1 chicken cut into pieces
1 cup flour
3 tbsp oil
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 sliced onion
3-4 cloves of garlic smashed
1 bell pepper, sliced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
14-20 green olives

Place flour in a pie plate and season with salt and pepper. Dust chicken pieces in the flour. Brown chicken in oil in a heavy bottom skillet (cast iron is great!) Remove chicken and set aside. Deglaze the pan with the white wine bringing up all the browned bits. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Add chili powder, worcestershire sauce and chicken stock.

In a roasting pan (or lasagna pan) place sliced onions, bell peppers, and smushed garlic cloves. Pour the tomato mixture over the onions, bell peppers and smushed garlic cloves. Nestle chicken into the sauce. Cover and roast at 350º for 50 minutes or until chicken breast reaches 170º with a thermometer. Add olives at the end. I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans, pouring some of the tomato gravy on the plate.

The next night, I added brown rice to absorb the gravy and I shredded the chicken removing the skin. My husband John said it was better this way than the first night. Probably because you got more of the "gravy" and the flavors melded even more. This is what it looked like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin