Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Creamed Peas

When I was a kid, I hated peas. Seriously despised them! Then one day I decided to just "get over it!" I slowly taught my taste buds to accept peas in such dishes as Tuna Noodle Casserole and Shepard's Pie. Never did I think I'd eat an entire bowl of peas! But sure enough, one day I tried a bunch of peas mixed with mashed potatoes and ever since I have not had a problem with the little green balls. Now that Weight Watchers is a thing of the past and I'm learning all about good fats like cream, butter, lard, coconut oil and bacon grease an entire new world has opened up to me. Bring on the CREAMED vegetables! I mean, no wonder kids don't eat their vegetables, a steamed pile of bland soggy vegetables is nothing compared to ones cooked lovingly in butter and cream. And to think I'm feeding my brain with the healthy fat, getting in doses of vitamin A& D that you can't find in the plant world and losing weight to boot. To find out more about this nutrient dense diet I'm following, read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, soon you too will be putting butter on your plate.
-Amanda

Creamed Peas

2 cups of frozen peas
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp arrowroot
 1/2 cup heavy cream (raw is best, low pasteurized next best!)
1/4 cup parmesan
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Steam peas until soft. Remove from pan. Melt butter in pan. Add arrowroot and stir. Add cream and cheese. Boil until the sauce thickens. Season to taste. Add peas back in and stir gently. Enjoy!

ps. This basically tastes like Alfredo sauce on peas. Yeah, it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin