Sunday, May 29, 2011

Greek Chicken Wraps

Well these were really great, even if they were a bit kludged together. And by that, I mean instead of the cucumber I wanted to use, but didn't have, I used zucchini. And the olive jar that was in the door of the fridge ended up being jam instead. The jars look similar I guess and I didn't look close enough. I forgot that the garlic was going to be used raw and I was visiting while prepping the dressing so I used three cloves instead of one. I added a touch of honey to balance out the heat of the garlic. All this is to say that, do try this recipe because it really is good! (Even my two toddlers ate it!) And that feel free to sub as necessary, it seems to be pretty forgiving! And if you don't have any tortillas, make it a big salad.
-Amanda

Greek Chicken Wraps

2 chicken breasts
1 cucumber (or um... zuchinni as the case may be!)
handful of olives
2-3 oz fresh feta cheese
1/4 red onion sliced very thin
chopped lettuce
tortilla wraps

Dressing:
1 tbsp anchovy paste
1 clove of garlic, minced/mashed
zest of one lemon
juice from half a lemon
1/4 cup really good olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp of honey if needed
salt (careful, the anchovies are salty)
fresh cracked black pepper

Cut the chicken into scallopini. That is, when they are partially frozen (it is easier that way) take your knife and carefully cut down the thickness of the chicken to make thin big pieces. I did each breast twice this way resulting in 3 pieces of chicken from each breast. On a very hot grill pan, grill the chicken until cooked through and remove to a plate to cool.

Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl and whisk well. Taste and adjust as necessary. Slice chicken into thin strips and add to the dressing bowl. Add sliced onion and thinly sliced cucumber. Crumble up the feta cheese and add olives. Cover and set in fridge for 1hr all the way up to 24 hours. Just before serving chop up some lettuce and put it in your tortilla. Add cold chicken mixture on top, wrap and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin